Sex Work vs. Sex Slavery; A Comparison

In countries abroad and within the US itself, prostitution is a widespread matter. In Nevada alone, there are
upwards of 21 brothels, and the number of sex workers in the state are estimated in the thousands.
Prostitution is a hot button issue for many, because there are those that argue the career’s validity and those
that see prostitution as altogether undesirable and morally wrong. This blog, however, will focus on the
differences, similarities, and connections between prostitution and sex trafficking.


For some, the act of prostitution is a choice. For Kitty Stryker, a self-proclaimed feminist and prostitute,
pursuing a life in sex work was not a result of exploitation, but rather a conscious career choice which
provides many benefits. “I say, ‘This is what an hour of my time is worth to me,’ and if a person disagrees,
they call someone else. That’s OK. It narrows down whom I see into a bunch of folks who appreciate me in
ways I would never be appreciated in the office cubicle world. And I have the control. I get to decide how I
want to budget, whom I see and when, whom to be polite to, and whom to decline.”


Kitty is one of thousands of woman who have spoken up in rallies, books, and online sources, claiming that
their decision to participate in sex work should be respected and decriminalized.




While it may be true that some individuals choose a life of sex work, for an alarmingly huge number of people,
participating in the buying and selling of sex is not a conscious or desirable decision. For many of these women, entering into prostitution was a choice made out of desperation, seen as the only option to survive
and/or support a family. Even more terribly, for many, the decision to enter into prostitution ultimately led to
being trafficked or exploited - having their ability to choose to leave that industry taken away completely.


The story of Poi is told in an article published by The Exodus Road: “Poi is 24. Born in a poor, rural village in
Thailand, she was married at 17 and has five children. After her husband left their family, it was up to Poi to
provide for herself and her children. Without an education or job opportunities, Poi reluctantly goes into the
city and starts to prostitute at a bar. She sends the small amount she receives to her children. It isn’t the life
she would choose for herself, but she doesn’t see another way.”


Poi’s story - like those of millions of other women - is vastly different from Kitty’s. Kitty is a willing participant
in the sex industry, while Poi’s conscious decision was made from desperation.


Then there are women like Shandra Woworuntu, who arrived in the US hoping to start a new career in the
hotel industry. Instead, she found she had been trafficked into a world of prostitution and sexual slavery,
forced drug-taking and violence. It was months before she was able to escape. Shandra was neither a willing
participant, nor a victim of circumstance who had to choose prostitution. Shandra was a victim who was never
given any choice or option in her participation in the sex trade. She was a victim of human trafficking.

What do you think?

In the world’s effort to eradicate all forms of illegal sexual exploitation, what should happen to those women who are willing sex workers? Should sex work be lumped in with trafficking and desperation in order to save the large number who are sexually exploited? How can Poi, Shandra, and women like them be helped without eliminating Kitty’s right to choose? Should Kitty’s right to choose be respected as she asks? I know what opinions I hold, but in this investigative blog, I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Comments